My Adoption Story






Today, November 15, is a special day for me, the date of my adoption into the family God. The year was 1981; I had just turned seventeen the month before, on the seventeenth, and was nearly half way through my senior year in high school. Earlier that Spring I had been invited to Wick Road Baptist Church by a young lady I liked. At that time I was going off and on to Allen Park Church of the Nazarene where I had grown up attending. I was amazed the first Sunday I went to Wick Road that there were about one hundred youth in Sunday school; they were in the middle of a promotion. Had never experienced that before as we never had much over a handful at Allen Park. I was surprised, too, at the number of people I knew, went to high school with, and how enjoyable/fun it was at Wick, but the gospel message was also solid, clear, and hitting home with me. By Fall I was attending pretty regular and each time when the invitation was offered to receive Jesus Christ and God’s gift of salvation I felt/sensed an urging that I needed to do something, to respond, to find some relief from the inner turmoil. I would find myself gripping the pew, sensing a spiritual struggle within, just trying to make it through one more time. This Sunday was just the same, I can’t remember the message but the battle within was on full force. However, something different happened, a friend of mine put his hand on my shoulder and quietly asked if I needed/wanted to go forward, I had so many times before, and as I said yes I released my grip on the pew and stepped out in the aisle toward the alter. He got the attention of a man who knelt in prayer with me. I can’t remember the exact prayer he or I prayed but I know I asked for and received forgiveness, asked Jesus to be my Lord and Savior, received His gift of salvation and eternal life. I didn’t fully understand or comprehend what happened, still don’t, but I do know this, that it was like a tremendous weight/burden had been lifted, I felt light, free, and a peace surpassing understanding. So, on this day I celebrate my spiritual birthday, the day I was, in Jesus’ words, born again. The day I was the whosoever of John 3:16, a verse I had learned/memorized as a little boy, that believed and received the greatest, most gracious gift, from God, of eternal life. On this day I remember and give thanks for the Spirit of adoption, the Spirit of Truth, the Spirit of promise, the Holy Spirit, living and abiding in me, leading and guiding, comforting and counseling, teacher and helper, constant companion. Thankful that I am not a spiritual orphan but have an Abba Father always with me, always listening, always caring/providing for me, always everything I need all the time. Thankful, glad that I’m a part of the family of God, an everlasting family in which I share an inheritance and am a joint heir with and because of Jesus, my Brother, my Friend, forever. Today I remember and say thank You Abba, thank You Jesus. Your grace still amazes me. Early this morning, in the stillness and quiet You remind me that you are I AM and that I am Yours. Early this morning taking me on a journey back to before the foundation of the world and there revealing to me the miraculous, eternal depths of this miracle of adoption and encouraging me to share and make others aware that they too can take part in and experience the miracle.

No comments:

Riding The Storm Out

  Scripture     Acts 27:20 Now when neither sun nor stars appeared for many days, and no small tempest beat on us, all hope that we would ...