First Thanksgiving

Still, quiet…I sit here at the house looking out the front window at a leaf (shades of brown) covered ground and mostly barren trees though the big oak is still holding quite a few brown leaves. This year I have spent so much time here (at my parent’s home) and watched the seasons change. I watch as the barrenness of winter transformed into a beautiful spring with very early warm, pleasant days. Soon the summer heat was blistering with record highs and drought conditions. Such picturesque fall colors have now mostly faded, fallen away, as winter makes its return. So much I have seen and experienced in this year, so many changes, so much has changed…and I sit here by myself on this day after Thanksgiving with so many thoughts flooding my mind. In a year with so many firsts, this first Thanksgiving without Dad just added to the list. We had talked about who would sit at the head of the table, whether or not to leave the chair empty, but as we approached the table it became clear that the youngest (sixteen month old), Sean Michael (my grand nephew), should do the honors. Although he will not remember, he will see the pictures, and as he grows I (we) will share with him and let him know, tell him about his Papa. So it was also fitting that I say, offer up the blessing and giving of thanks. When I said “Amen”, to a chorus of others, my sister Tina spoke Dad’s words, as he always remembered to pray for “those less fortunate than us”. To that I added “and those in nursing homes and hospitals”. How many time I heard you pray for these, Pop…you always remembered but also reached out and ministered to them. Always expressing thanks for God’s grace, for where would we be without it? So blessed, so much to be thankful for, such abundance, so much…and you always remembered and expressed sincere thanks.

My Pop, you always remembered where you came from, your roots deep down in such humble beginnings, “if my Daddy could see me now…he would think me rich”. So I sit here now reaping the benefits, the blessings…thank you, Pop! Thank You, Abba! The only son of my Father (an only son) who was fatherless at age nine, I am. Today I remember and give thanks for the time we had together here and for the eternity we will spend together when I, too, cross that river to join you. As I prayed and remembered so many out there without family, food, shelter, a place to call home I’m reminded of the call to reach out, minister to them, to share the blessings You, my Father, have so richly lavished upon me, Your precious gift of grace.

So much we ate, so much extra…so many with so little, so many without, so many hungry, and yet so many with such abundance…why am I so fortunate? Why do I have so much? It kind of made my stomach churn…so much food and yet so many hungry…Oh Father, help me, show me what to do, how to share the blessing, to share Your grace.
(excerpted from my personal journal 11-23-07)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know Mike, I wonder if your Pop is in heaven thinking just the opposite...I can't wait till Mike gets here and sees this. I have often thought whether those who have gone before can look down on us and if they can do they. Would you? Would I? Not sure how to answer that. I guess, when I think of all that there will be to take in once we "cross over that river" I hardly think that I will have time to worry about what is going on down here, but then again I may become home sick for those left here on this miserable marble - our mortal home.

Thanks for the reflection Mike. This Thanksgiving, I found myself thinking about my Grandmother who just recently passed and of those who may pass in the near future. All we have is that perfect hope that is in His salvation. One day we will all be reunited. How sweet is that!

Take care my Brother,

Tim

Tom Davis said...

Thanks Michael. Beautiful stuff!

Riding The Storm Out

  Scripture     Acts 27:20 Now when neither sun nor stars appeared for many days, and no small tempest beat on us, all hope that we would ...